The engine is a major part of your vehicle. A major part of your engine is the crankshaft position sensor which is an engine management component that you will find on just about all modern vehicles that have an internal combustion engine. This part monitors the position and rotational speed of the crankshaft and sends that information to the unit that controls the engine so it can make the proper adjustments that are needed based on the conditions it's operating under.
The speed and position that your crankshaft position sensor monitors are some of the most parameters that the engine will monitor. So, if there is an issue, how are you to know if your crankshaft position sensor is failing?
There are some symptoms that you can look out for when it comes to knowing if your crankshaft position sensor is failing or if it is at the beginning of doing so.
- You have an issue starting your vehicle. This is the most common symptom that'll be associated with a failing crankshaft position sensor. The parameters that it utilizes are what you'll need to start your engine.
- Sporadic stalling begins to happen. If there are any issues with the crankshaft position sensor or the wires, the signal can be cut off when the engine is running. This will cause your engine to stall.
- The check engine light is on in your vehicle. If there is a problem it will activate this light so the driver will know the problem exists.
- The acceleration in your vehicle is uneven. The engine control unit will not be able to make the right adjustments to spark fuel injection and timing for the engine speed to increase properly.
- You notice that your engine vibrates or misfires. If you happen to hear or feel a brief stutter in your engine this can be a sign.
The crankshaft position sensor is vital for your engine to function properly and for you to have the best performance. If you need your crankshaft position sensor repaired, give our auto repair shop a call today!